From: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/03/irish-white- bean-and- cabbage-stew.html
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1-1 ½ pounds potatoes, largely diced
- 1/3 cup pearled barley (optional)
- 6-8 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups cooked great northern beans (2 cans, drained)
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- ½ tsp rosemary crushed
- 1 Tbs chopped parsley
- salt to taste
- Place the vegetables, seasonings, and barley into a large (at least 5 quart) slow cooker.
- Add enough vegetable broth to just cover the vegetables (start with 6 cups and add more as needed).
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7 hours.
- Add beans, tomatoes, parsley, and salt to taste.
- Check seasonings and add more herbs if necessary.
- Cover and cook for another hour.
- Place vegetables, seasonings, barley, and broth into a large stockpot.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, check seasonings, and add more herbs if necessary.
- Simmer uncovered for at least 15 minutes before serving.