- 2 cups vegetarian broth
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup lentils (black, red, or green)
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- 6 Tbs extra-firm tofu, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup non-dairy cream cheese, at room temperature
- 12 thin asparagus spears, steamed, cut in 2-inch lengths, and sliced in half lengthwise (so they will be flat on the canapés)
- 24 slices whole-wheat, pumpernickel, or rye party breads
- Please broth, 1 cup water, onion, bay leaf, and thyme in a medium saucepan. Add lentils, and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 25-30 minutes. Drain lentils, discarding onion, bay leaf, and thyme. Transfer lentils to small bowl, and gently toss with olive oil.
- Add salt to taste.
- Using a hand mixer, cream the nondairy cream cheese and tofu until smooth.
- Heat oven to 300F. Arrange bread slices on baking sheets and toast lightly on both sides. Transfer to cool on wire rack. Trim crust from each slice with a serrated knife.
- Spread each bread slice with non-dairy cream cheese. Place the edge of a blade of a large kitchen knife diagonally across half of the canapés. Spread one teaspoon of reserved lentils over half of the exposed cream cheese, using the straight edge of the knife as a barrier from spieling lentils over entire canapé. Place one slice of asparagus diagonally along edge of lentils. Repeat with remaining canapés, serve on salt tray. Asparagus may be substituted with a julienne sliced roasted peppers (packed in olive oil).