- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and 1/4 cup liquid reserved
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread, torn into small pieces
Tartar Sauce Ingredients
- ¼ cup Low-Fat Vegennaise
- Pinch of Old Bay Seasoning
- ½ whole dill pickle, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp dill pickle brine
- For the chickpea crab cakes: Place the reserved chickpea liquid into a large bowl, then add the cream of tartar and whip vigorously until foamy and thick.
- Whisk in the parsley, lemon juice, Old Bay and honey mustard, then add the bread pieces and toss to coat. Let sit until the bread is soft, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the chickpeas (alternatively, you can pinch or smush them). When the bread mixture is ready, add the chickpeas and toss and squeeze the mixture until it holds together. Form into eight 3/4-inch thick patties with nice rounded edges. Cover and chill them for at least 1 hour.
- For the tartar sauce: Whisk together the mayonnaise, Old Bay, pickle and pickle brine in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 30-45 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve the chickpea crab cakes with the tartar sauce and lemon wedges.
One thought on “Vegan Chickpea Crab Cakes”