- 1 onion (diced)
- 3 carrots (diced)
- 2 ribs celery (diced)
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2 cups dry lentils
- 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups water
- 1½ tsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt (or more to taste)
- 1-2 med potatoes, peeled and cubed small
- In large stockpot, over medium heat, sauté onion, carrots and celery in a small amount of water (about 7 minutes)
- Mince garlic, rinse lentils, and peel and cube potatoes.
- Add garlic, cumin, salt and paprika to stockpot, sauté 1 minute.
- Add broth, water, tomatoes, potatoes, lentils and bay leaves to stockpot.
- Increase heat and bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Consider adding 4-5 ounces roughly chopped spinach during the last few minutes of cooking.
2 thoughts on “Lentil Soup”