- 1 1/4 cups packed pitted medjool dates (measured after pits removed)
- 1 1/4 cups raw walnuts
- 1 1/3 cups almond flour (or sub almond meal, but the cake flavor is more pronounced with flour)
- pinch sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Finely shredded unsweetened coconut (for rolling)
- Add pitted dates to a food processor and mix until small bits remain or a ball forms. Remove from the food processor and set aside.
- To the food processor, add the walnuts, almond flour, and sea salt. Blend until a semi-fine meal is achieved. Add dates back in (in bite-sized pieces) as well as the vanilla extract. Pulse until a loose dough forms. Be careful not to over-blend. You’re looking for a pliable dough, not a purée.
- Scoop out 2-Tablespoon amounts and roll into balls with hands and place directly on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat until all dough is used up.
- Roll in finely shredded coconut or leave as is. Store in refrigerator or freezer. Will keep in the refrigerator up to 1 week or in the freezer up to 1 month. You could also press the “dough” into a loaf or 8×8-inch cake pan and slice into bars.
Thank you to Minimalist Baker for this amazing recipe